Saturday, January 20, 2007

Testing, testing...

OK, it's been a while now since I resubmitted my order confirmation e-mail. And, by now, I'm sensing that having a record of communications with these people might be a good idea. So I use their website to submit a question instead of calling them. The website has a form for all my identifying information, plus a comments section. I use the comments section to explain what has happened thus far.

Here is the response I got:

Dear Rob,

Thank you for contacting the Rebate Centre. I have searched our database using the information provided to us in your e-mail. At the present time, I do not show any record of your rebate submission in our files. Please be advised that a rebate submission can take up to 28 days to appear in our database from the date it is received at our facility.

Please allow a full 6 weeks to elapse from the day you mailed your submission to us.

Sincerely,
John
Rebate Centre Representative

Two thoughts occur to me:

  • What kind of crap are they using for software? Why on earth does he have to search for anything? After I have entered my details in my web browser, does he really have to enter them into a separate system? Why on earth isn't he just presented automatically with my case as soon as he is assigned to it?

  • My second thought leads from the first. With imbeciles like "John" working in customer service, you really need as much automation as possible.

    John is quite a star. He gets an e-mail, which contains everything I entered on the form. He then searches for my details, but makes a mistake and finds nothing. At this point, most intelligent life forms would think "I've found nothing, but the customer indicates that he has already been in contact with us, so he must be in the system. Let me double-check that." Not our John. His job was done when he tried the search and couldn't find anything. On with the script and bring on the next case.

This is starting to get annoying. I respond thus:

That's strange because I have already had a letter from you telling me that I won't be getting a rebate.

The significance of this seems lost on John. He doesn't bother to respond.

No comments: